OT: [sorta]: from wired.com : Why Isn't Wireless [IP] Everywhere?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jun 9 14:34:28 MST 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Mike Schwartz wrote:

I was thinking tangentially about this the other day -=- We
forget it now, but recall the 'urgency' for the regulated
telco's to 'add more wireline phone numbers' during the
dial-up phase of the internet roll-in?

Wired number pool allocations with all the fax, dialup PPP
links, pager, and related devices (I exclude cellular numbers
here), and the pulling of copper in the 'last mile' 'outside'
network were 'urgent', a crisis, and now are in the rate base
we all end up paying for, essentially 'forever' for customers
unable to totally drop wireline services [VOIP and wireless
only go so far -- some businesses cannot take the risk of
being 'unavailable']

The answer of course as to 'Why' usually includes a
'TANSTAAFL' aspect ;)  What will WiMax, wireless, or whatever
be supplanated by 'tomorrow', and what commercial company can
'thread the needle' to provision it at just the right 'profit
maximizing point'?

-- Russ herrold