west side during the summer

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 02:31:05 MST 2009

Another idea:    The Glendale public library has free wifi, at least at the
branch I usually go to, the "Foothills" branch, which is on
57th Ave,. N of Union Hills Dr.
(directions to it from the 101:  Go S on 59th Ave.,
 for 1/2 mile, then E on Utopia for 1/4 mile,
 then S on 57th Ave to the first left).

They do have some meeting rooms, which we could
probably use, including 2 small, 1 medium, and one large.

They prefer monthly use by non-profit .org's, vs. weekly.
(which would be fine with PLUG).

They "might" insist on the room being reserved by a
non-profit .org that does "technically" have a valid
"501 (c) 3" designation from the federal .gov
(like, the IRS or whatever).

If that happens, then
the Phoenix Chapter ACM would be happy to
[a] create a  "Linux SIG" [subset of itself], and
[b] reserve the room, and
[c] hold a meeting which is open to the general public.
(...but, which would probably be publicized mainly
 via PLUG, and maybe somewhere like
 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.org.acm/
 although that is mainly oriented towards stuff
 that is not just local to one city...)

Comment:  The IEEE computer society typically
holds meetings that are open to the general public,
((which is good, because "some" of those who
  are not members, might be ones who "would"
  be members, if it were cheaper to join.))
Lately some of those [IEEE computer society meetings]
 were held in Chandler, but they typically are held
 at DeVry (2149 W Dunlap)
 (less than a mile from I-17)
 which is "sorta" on the 'West Side'
 (approx. as "West" as ACAA, near Bell Rd & I-17).
</end comment>
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ