cat-5

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:55:53 MST 2009

mike havens wrote:
> all I need it for is patch cables... and telephone cables. Why doesn't
> crosstalk affect the telephone signal?

most PSTN signalling is of low bandwidth (especially on the "last mile"
run). now DSL is kind of an
exception to this (except you need line filters on your phones to keep
from hearing the "static" of the modem.

you can probably get away with 10BaseT signalling on cat 3, but because
of how the cable itself is wound
(turns per foot, etc) your max length will be very limited. 100BaseT is
not recommended at all owing to
the large about of bandwidth used (typically greated that 200 Mhz wide)
and cat 3 cable will
act as an antenna at lengths longer than about 18 inches.