cat-5

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jul 22 14:13:06 MST 2009

Analog audio vs. modulated digital bit streams.  Crosstalk does affect
telephone, your eardrum is more capable of dealing with it than an
ethernet phy tends to be.

Same reason dsl tends to suck vs. cable - you can only do so much with
unshielded, possibly untwisted phone wires.  Legacy 2-wire pots was
never originally designed with data transmissions in mind.  Cat3 was
really built more as the first utp alternative to thick/thinnet shielded
coax.  Each cat variety is rated for a certain mhz, meaning that you can
modulate greater bitstreams across the medium, providing more
throughput.

cat3 - 16mhz (analog mostly, otherwise 10base ready)
cat5 - 100mhz (100 base)
cat5e - 100mhz (100base, but sorta gigabit ready)
cat6 - 250mhz (gigabit)
cat6e - 500mhz (gigabit, 10g ready)
cat7 - 600mhz (10g)
cat7a - 1000mhz (10g, 40g ready)