OT: The palm PRE ("with webOS")

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:43:07 MST 2009

Mike Schwartz wrote:
> I don't know anything about this [new?] "PRE" phone:
> http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/
> but I heard something about it, today, while I was on hold
> with "Sprint PCS" customer service.
>
> ((my daughter's [Sprint] cell phone had been in a status
>   of "lost or stolen" -- we didn't know which.  We had
>   it disabled, since it might have been "stolen".
>   Now, it has been found.  So, the call today
>   to "Sprint PCS" customer service, was to have
>   the phone re-enabled.))
>
> The reason I am writing here (to PLUG) is that I saw sopmething
> that is maybe not "100%" OT ["off topic"].  A blurb for a video
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM)
> on YouTube about this "PRE" phone,
> (that showed up among the "hits" from a search engine) said
> << "
> *Palm Pre* <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM>
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DJRnlzbuLRwM&ei=HLxbSvrfMIzAsgPA_-mrCg&sa=X&oi=video_result&resnum=3&ct=thumbnail&usg=AFQjCNFATDfpwdgaIT3HV9x6QJjxeSSfrA>3
> min 6 sec - Jan 8, 2009 -
>
> [image: Rated 4.5 out of 5.0]
>

> Here is a video tour of the *Palm Pre* with webOS
>
> " >>
> ...and the part about "webOS" struck me as potentially sorta "software
> related".

Hi,

Planning on getting one within a few weeks.

It runs GNU/Linux in the core.
It's possible currently to hack it into Verizon's network (voice only,
no data, atm :( )
It's possible to set up Debian chroot on the phone.

You can do all sorts of fun things under the hood with it. Plus
developing for it ain't half bad (using html/js/css and palm's "mojo"
framework)

Ryan