Tracking file storage space use

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:11:02 MST 2009

> This kind of thing is a good reason to split off certain file hierarchies
like /var, /var/log, and /usr/local  > where stuff tends to collect and/or
runneth over.  A full root with one monolithic partition can make for a
> single-user mode bad day.

If you split them off, don't you wind up making them smaller and thus they
tend to run out of space more often.

When you start splitting, something gets smaller, thus less time to react.

I find, something like hobbit combined with diskhog works well. Hobbit will
tell me when a partition is starting to run low on space (I can set the
percentage). Then diskhog, will tell me where the most space is being used
and by who.

Before I implemented this at one company, I heard the stories how they were
always calling the admin at night because they had already run out of space.

Once I added these, I always got a warning ahead of time, and they never ran
out of space again.