Tracking file storage space use

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jul 6 16:43:43 MST 2009

I would tend to think based on what you're saying you have log files
that are rampantly filling, and then logrotate kicks in, compresses, and
all of your space comes back.  See anything odd in in /var/log/messages
or daemon?  Just about anything misconfigured can cause rampant log
filling.  I had this with a wireless module bug recently in ubuntu
overrunning my /var partition with incessant log chatter.

Is it all one flat partition or do you separate out things
like /var /usr or ...?  If so, it should tell you pretty quickly with a
df -kh where data is collecting.  If it's monolithic, check /var/log
with ls -lahS /var and then /var/log.  I'll bet it's in there unless
you're using some kind of temp space elsewhere.

This kind of thing is a good reason to split off certain file
hierarchies like /var, /var/log, and /usr/local where stuff tends to
collect and/or runneth over.  A full root with one monolithic partition
can make for a single-user mode bad day.

-mb