Ummm...need a little bit of router config help...

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri Jul 3 17:36:14 MST 2009

Jim March wrote:
> OK...y'all aren't being clear yet...or maybe it's me :).
>
>>> I believe that the Quest DSL allows port 80 inbound, but I would check this.<<
>
> Lesse...googling says "no block".  Good...but just in case, how in
> hell would I set both ends to use a higher port addy like 32769 or
> whatever?
>
>>> Try just serving a regular web page (Hello World) to see if that works.<<
>
> If I had the slightest clue how to do that, I would...
>
>>> In your local "router" did you configure a PORT FORWARD entry - this forwards all requests for port 80 from the WAN side to an internal IP (which would be the DHCP or static private RFC 1918 style non-fully routable internet address) 192.168.0.53 [which IS NOT your CAMERA DEVICE feed (depending on how you have your Zoneminder Setup)].<<
>
> Wait...as to that last, I'm not using IP cameras.  Cameras are very
> basic plugged into multi-port RCA adapter cards using the BT878
> chipset.
>
> So the only IP address involved is for the camera server station.
> There's no "camera device feed" I don't think...
>
> I told the Actiontec router to do port forwarding on port 80 (actually
> a "range" of "80 to 80" using TCP to 192.168.0.53 (the camera server).
>
> I know not what an "RFC1918" critter is...
>
> I've even tried the DMZ thing, telling the Actiontec router that the
> "DMZ host IP address" is 192.168.0.53 and turning it on.  Mainly as a
> test...the security implications appear to be frightening.
>
> Lemme guess...if DMZ is turned on, then despite claims made that Qwest
> doesn't close port 80, that's likely what's up?  In that case, how do
> I bump things up to another port?  I have no problem needing to access
> it with something like http://whatever.dyndns.org:696969 or
> whatever...
>
> Thanks...

For ActionTec, just tell it to forward a port range of (e.g. 48374 to 48380, giving a few ports to play with).

After that you have to set the ZoneMinder software to use the same ports.

According to a snippet on the ZoneMinder website the web config is Apache2.  There are many ways to make Apache use a different port, but this is what I copied off the ZoneMinder website:
	1- backup and edit /etc/apache2/ports.conf with nano, then change both "NameVirtualHost *:80" and "Listen 80" to the new port we may need;
	2- backup and edit /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default with nano, and change "<VirtualHost *:80>" to reflect the new port;
	3- restart apache a la red hat way: "service apache2 restart"; yes, it restarted with no complains !
The last command is probably "invoke-rc.d apache2 restart" for your system.