Ummm...need a little bit of router config help...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 17:11:08 MST 2009

OK...y'all aren't being clear yet...or maybe it's me :).

>>I believe that the Quest DSL allows port 80 inbound, but I would check this.<<

Lesse...googling says "no block".  Good...but just in case, how in
hell would I set both ends to use a higher port addy like 32769 or
whatever?

>>Try just serving a regular web page (Hello World) to see if that works.<<

If I had the slightest clue how to do that, I would...

>>In your local "router" did you configure a PORT FORWARD entry - this forwards all requests for port 80 from the WAN side to an internal IP (which would be the DHCP or static private RFC 1918 style non-fully routable internet address) 192.168.0.53 [which IS NOT your CAMERA DEVICE feed (depending on how you have your Zoneminder Setup)].<<

Wait...as to that last, I'm not using IP cameras.  Cameras are very
basic plugged into multi-port RCA adapter cards using the BT878
chipset.

So the only IP address involved is for the camera server station.
There's no "camera device feed" I don't think...

I told the Actiontec router to do port forwarding on port 80 (actually
a "range" of "80 to 80" using TCP to 192.168.0.53 (the camera server).

I know not what an "RFC1918" critter is...

I've even tried the DMZ thing, telling the Actiontec router that the
"DMZ host IP address" is 192.168.0.53 and turning it on.  Mainly as a
test...the security implications appear to be frightening.

Lemme guess...if DMZ is turned on, then despite claims made that Qwest
doesn't close port 80, that's likely what's up?  In that case, how do
I bump things up to another port?  I have no problem needing to access
it with something like http://whatever.dyndns.org:696969 or
whatever...

Thanks...

Jim