Shell Account

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Jul 2 21:00:33 MST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:53 PM, GK <gm5729 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I have to direct this to someone (Lisa) because whatever sassafras
> tea that you're drinking is obviously laced.
>
> For whatever reason you brought in a Debian log is beyond me too. But if
> you must needs have your senses titilated the OP in question was asking
> how he could generate a list of passwords. So Debian has two wonderful
> tools agp and otr that help generate random pronouncable passphrases. At
> the moment the word/theory eludes me. I'm sure you can identify with
> having to think up a passphrase for the 5 main frames you might be on, 3
> servers, a laptop and a remote location every 30-60 days. It's PITA and
> really in the scheme of things doesn't work. Longer passphrases, say
> 20-40 chars work the best mathematically then a short 7 char
> "complicated" one. This person also sounded like they where do some sort
> of sys admining... which oh heaven forbid us linux users sys admin our
> boxen. So I mentioned cracklib to s/he as a way for an admin to enforce
> at least some level of security since the password is usually the
> weakest link in the "security" chain.

Wow, we all drool wishing you would either write for a Linux Journal or hang
on our LIST rather than IRC.
Yes, those are great tools.  And I must apologise that people do descend to
black and white thinking [i.e. cracklib, agp and otr are BAD/EVIL].

> As far as the IP that was used, so what? I was behind someone elses
> network at the time and had the free access to do as I needed on my
> boxen. No harm, no foul.

Well, that's the subject of the thread, is it not?  Free shell access?

> Ah, I believe in net neutrality also. Though my request may not seem
> logical to you. I exhausted all means of "free" shell accounts  online.
> I'm not going to go over again what I found. But for one reason or
> another they would not meet my needs. So, because I've known the the
> PLUG, Hans, Tuna, the gang at the Installfest. I was asking for
> assistance because I was not having any success with what I was doing
> hoping that someone may have something in the PLUG that "members" could
> use that wasn't necessarily public knowledge.

Someone might still come forth for your shell access.  You might also try
OWASP.

> No one is claiming nonfree, or unsafe or encroachment on anothers
> private property and/or breaking the law. Now Arapio the Nazi he is
> another story.
>
> You obviously don't, won't, can't have the ability to help me in my
> request so why are you beating a dead horse? A logical response would
> seemingly come from someone who could assist me. So basically shut your
> trap please.

I have systems here, but they are used for business purposes and my IT plan
won't allow me to provide access without a seriously REAL reason (that
outweighs the risks).   I used to trade shell access ON IRC, and I worked
along side systems administrators that cracked the password files of user's
shell accounts during the radius/dialup [23B+D Livingston/T1 Cisco 2450's]
days and traded them internationally on IRC.  But none of those people were
ethical; none succeeded, and well, you get the idea (see back page of the
2600 magazine "Pen Pals from Jail" requests).

> Vi^3PP

Hope to see you at the hackfests!

--
(503)754-4452 wiki.obnosis.com