Linux without swap

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 14:08:08 MST 2009

Do like suggested, create a file for swap.

Swap depends on what programs you run and what the programs require.

There is all sorts of reasons for programs to use memory, since memory
access is a lot faster the disk.

So maybe a program loads It's database in memory to get faster record lookup
and retrieval, if it's a big DB, you could run out of memory, or the program
could quit, who knows.

Maybe lots of users run multiple copies of the same program, the more copies
the more memory, again if there is no swap, then when you reach the limit
programs don't run.

It used to be you would create a swap space 2 to 3 times the amount of
memory you had, again depending on what programs the system will be running.

I still like to create a swap space at least as big as the memory I have.

You never know when I might load that entire sort into memory :-)