Trying Fedora

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Sun Jan 25 11:24:00 MST 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009 22:55:50 Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 20:10 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:54:23 -0700
> >
> > Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  try Ubuntu... jmz
> >
> > ubuntu 8.10 is both good and bad.
> > I have used ubuntu for a couple years now, and had no problems until 8.10
> > I have bugs in for 2 things:
> > 	my DVD drive doesn't work - so I am living w/o it
> > 	I have a usb drive that goes into a race condition and fills up the log
>
> ----
> make sure your BIOS is up to date
> ----
>
> > I have spent a lot of time getting everything to work, and I will just
> > hope that some patch sometime fixes the issues.
> >
> > KDE 4 sucks!
>
> ----
> I suspect that Fedora is a bit ahead of Ubuntu/Kubuntu on KDE-4 at the
> moment because Fedora 10 is the second release with KDE-4 and when it
> was released with Fedora 9, there was a ton of objections.
>
> KDE 4.2 is on the horizon and release candidates are available but of
> course outside of the standard distribution packaging. Again, Fedora has
> been really aggressive here, backporting fixes and in general, I am
> really loving KDE-4 myself. Fedora packagers just put out a complete set
> of KDE updates yesterday...the second or third massive update of KDE-4
> in the few weeks of F10 availability. I love those guys for what they're
> doing.
>
> That said, regardless of the status of the 'Folder View' Plasmoid, the
> desktop on KDE-4 simply is not what people are used to and it is pretty
> much dead space where the filesystem is concerned. If you're
> pre-disposed to keeping files on your Desktop, then KDE-4 will bother
> you.
>
> Craig

I have been using KDE 4 since 4.1.0 came out. I really rather like it. I'm not
very accustomed to putting files on my desktop, but rather various objects and
so KDE 4 fits me perfect with the plasmoids. I use the knotes plasmoid to keep
a rather large note on the side of my desktop and the show dashboard plasmoid
button on my taskbar so I can quickly get to my notes plasmoid. I cannot
remember life before this! When I must keep files on the desktop I find
folderview does what I need rather well.

I have to say, while a bit buggy, 4.2.0 is going to be awesome. I have the
packages built for PaysonLinux and it works very well. The only major problem
I have found is the disconnected-imap in kmail casuing a race situation that
causes so much disk activity I have to forcibly shutdown my laptop, though it
does not happen every time. The kdepim guys and I have been working on this
for a couple weeks, but it will not be a showstopper for the 4.2.0 release...
Seems not a lot of people are using dimap, though, again, I cannot imagine
life without it!

Nathan