Trying Fedora

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 23 22:55:50 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 20:10 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:54:23 -0700
> Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  try Ubuntu... jmz
> >

> ubuntu 8.10 is both good and bad.
> I have used ubuntu for a couple years now, and had no problems until 8.10
> I have bugs in for 2 things:
> 	my DVD drive doesn't work - so I am living w/o it
> 	I have a usb drive that goes into a race condition and fills up the log
----
make sure your BIOS is up to date
----

> I have spent a lot of time getting everything to work, and I will just hope
> that some patch sometime fixes the issues.
>
> KDE 4 sucks!
----
I suspect that Fedora is a bit ahead of Ubuntu/Kubuntu on KDE-4 at the
moment because Fedora 10 is the second release with KDE-4 and when it
was released with Fedora 9, there was a ton of objections.

KDE 4.2 is on the horizon and release candidates are available but of
course outside of the standard distribution packaging. Again, Fedora has
been really aggressive here, backporting fixes and in general, I am
really loving KDE-4 myself. Fedora packagers just put out a complete set
of KDE updates yesterday...the second or third massive update of KDE-4
in the few weeks of F10 availability. I love those guys for what they're
doing.

That said, regardless of the status of the 'Folder View' Plasmoid, the
desktop on KDE-4 simply is not what people are used to and it is pretty
much dead space where the filesystem is concerned. If you're
pre-disposed to keeping files on your Desktop, then KDE-4 will bother
you.

Craig