OT: <--[maybe]; book review; also, expert says the US needs a CTO

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Thu Jan 22 23:46:15 MST 2009

[1] book review by Edward J. Valauskas, of James Boyle's recent book, The
public domain: Enclosing the commons of the mind:

http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2350/2080

((quote from the above book review: "Anyone with even the slightest interest
in intellectual property, government policy, and the Internet should read
this book. Highly, highly recommended!"))
see also:
   http://www.law.duke.edu/boylesite/    [1a]
which says (in part) this:
<< "NEW  . . .  My new book, The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the
Mind has just been published by Yale University Press. The book is available
under a Creative Commons License for free download or online reading at
http://thepublicdomain.org" >>
There is also a link to another "op/ed" item about it:
    http://www.boingboing.net/2008/11/30/james-boyles-the-pub.html
which in turn has a link to the [worthy] "cause" on Facebook -- called
"Support Jamie Boyle for IP Czar", (see [2] below) at
    http://apps.facebook.com/causes/182181
[2] some "advice" (? for Obama?) from an expert, saying the US needs a CTO
(and a better "IT" policy):

http://www.bakerinstitute.org/publications/TSPP-pub-ObamaTransitionBronk-121908.pdf

I am not sure what the connection is -- "if any" -- between a CTO and an "IP
Czar", but I just thought this was interesting.
[0] [comment:]  In some ways this fits right in with some discussions of
prices, licenses, DRM, "piracy", etc. in another recent "OT" thread ("Re:
OT: Microsoft layoffs").
I labeled this "OT" too.
I haven't read the book [yet], but it seems like it might be very relevant
to the "philosophy" of FLOSS etc.  Hence I said "OT: <--[maybe]".
YMMV.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ