Looking For RAID Hardware/Software Advice

Chuck Sharp chuck.w.sharp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:01:32 MST 2009

Mark, RAID 5 takes at least 3 disks. The reason for that is because of
the way stores data. RAID5 divides up the data it writes into groups.
For each groups of data being written, it will spread the data across
all but one disk. On the remaining disk, it will write the data's
parity calculations. This set of data can be used to re-create the
data in that group on any of the other drives that fails, by using the
remaining data in the group. Different sets of data written to raid5
will designate different disks for the parity data. Every single write
to a raid 5 involves some hefty calculations.

Raid1 is mirroring only. In other words, any data written to one disk
will be written to the other.

RAID10 takes 4 disks, because you are both mirroring and striping
data. I don't think that's what you really had in mind here.

Here's the upshot.
1. Writing is slower to a RAID5 set.
2. Writing to a software RAID5 set is often CPU intensive too.
3. RAID1 is much simpler technically and conceptually than RAID5.
4. RAID1 is a little simpler to set up.
5. RAID1 allows each volume to be used individually (you can "break
the mirror) without hiccups. RAID5 ties all the disks intimately
together, so you can't do that.
6. If a software RAID5 disk dies, it is CPU intensive to rebuild that
disk. Rebuilding a RAID1 disk is a simple block-by-block copy from one
to the other.

Generally, people opt for RAID1 or RAID10 configurations these days
(generally, there are plenty of exceptions) for those reasons. RAID5
was much more popular when storage was so expensive, but nowadays the
cost is so low that RAID1 is usually the way to go.

Chuck