Looking For RAID Hardware/Software Advice

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Jan 19 07:53:09 MST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 7:30 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> After some more reading, I am a little confused about the debate
> between RAID5 and RIAD10. I am interested in the group's opinions on
> which is better - RAID 5 or RAID 10 and why? What experiences have
> you had regarding installation, maintenance, and fixing problems? I
> am running Debian testing.

You need at least 4 drives to implement RAID10, so your cost estimates
need to go up accordingly.  RAID10 will give you better fault
tolerance and better performance than RAID5.  The downside is the
cost, since in RAID10 you will get less usable space per physical GB
of disk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_levels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_1.2B0

alex