OT: Redmond

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Jan 14 02:25:42 MST 2009

Have you turned off Remote Registry Editing?

How about ICS?  Are you allowing Internet Connection Sharing?

Do you have ports 137-139, 445, ms-terminal and RDP closed or filtered on your router (or Firewall)?

Did you leave on Remote Debugging?  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385831.aspx

Have you watched all the UnPN packets?  http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/24766-upnp-questions.html

Are you open to IPv6 tunnel exploits?  https://forums.symantec.com/t5/Vulnerabilities-Exploits/Who-Left-the-Tunnel-Door-Open-in-Windows-Firewall-for-Vista/ba-p/305520;jsessionid=B5FB50587CD207566675CB33A2056B63#A105

Did you see all the other information that is created and sent to Microsoft and Akamai's federal government information cache constantly blogging up the network?   or... "What IS ALL THIS TRAFFIC to AKAMAI and Microsoft with nothing open and running!"  http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,39024759,60117863p,00.htm

Have you configured the new outbound firewall rules (under Group Policy Editing) or are you using an add-on security product like Symantec [In Microsoft a Virus Checker and firewall configuration is NOT OPTIONAL]?  http://www.vistahunt.com/windows-vista-two-way-firewall.html

What about MS Connection Inspection Engine issues?  http://msmvps.com/blogs/alunj/archive/2008/01/24/1479415.aspx

Do you use Cygwin?  Any Redmond Cyg-X installation issues?

Do you use plugins for script based monitoring like Nagios?  Any UAC issues?

Are you able to use Wireshark with UAC ACL's in Vista/Redmond?

Have you booted BackTrack on another network machine and run some of the very basic Metasploit tools against it?
Examples:
http://forums.remote-exploit.org/archive/index.php/t-18548.html
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid192_gci1333816,00.html

How about SMB4k browser?
SMB/CIF share browser will display that you are sharing more than is disclosed with Windows Firewall or Network Share tools!
http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/Tools

Just some basic tester questions!

www.Obnosis.com |  http://wiki.obnosis.com | http://hackfest.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
PLUG HACKFESTS - http://uat.edu Second Saturday of Each Month Noon - 3PM