OT: Redmond

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 13 22:07:58 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 21:42 -0700, James Finstrom wrote:
> I like to imagine it is because I am important or that its because I
> went to church with many Microsoft cube gnomes when I lived in
> Washington but none of these things are true simply because I am on a
> Microsoft Spam list I got an invitation and license to download and
> play with Windows 7 beta. So let me share the expierience and overview
> so far I like things with the word free even if it is only as in beer
> and only for a short time, Anyhow with fear and the smell of danger
> that acompanies all things that say Microsoft and Beta in the same
> typography I clicked the shiny banner answered a few questions and got
> a key + link.  the minimum requirements say 1Gig ram and 128M video
> and blah blah something something okay whatever click.... Anyhow the
> download comes up says this could take several days depending on your
> provider and the download size is...... 2.44 GIG holy redhat batman I
> need to go buy a dvd to burn this down to, well so much for free.
> Anyhow it is chewing up some bandwith that can be better allocated but
> I am going to grab it if for nothing else just to see if
> http://xkcd.com/528/  is true...
----
I always felt that if you really are inclined to do Microsoft beta
testing, that you were best off to wait for the official release because
that's when they actually start to make features work.

It's absurd to think that you can run the latest/greatest without the
bandwidth and hardware to support it.

Craig