language differences between linux and windows

Donn dlshumway at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:40:17 MST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:07:05 -0700
> Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:
>
> ok. I tried a lot of stuff. but the one thing that actually worked, was to
> run
> the cqperl script on the windows box itself.
>
> it was utf8 on the linux box, I could see the text.
> when i copied the file, via a samba share, or scp in cygwin, the characters
> actually changed.
>
> we don't use ftp on our servers at all, because of security reasons, so I
> tried
> sftp. know what, I couldn't find a mode switch on sftp (binary or ascii),
> so I
> couldn't get sftp to deal with it correctly.
>
> so I copied over my cqperl script to windows, and it worked there. The
> characters came out right.
>
> god, I really hate to have to deal with windows in any way at all.
>
> oh btw, if I tried to convert the file on cygwin using iconv. But by the
> time I
> got the file over to windows the damage was already done.
>

> --
> Happy Trails!
> Jerry (K7AZJ)
> Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
> Registered Linux User: 275424
> This email's random fortune:
> Q:      What's hard going in and soft and sticky coming out?
> A:      Chewing gum.

What are you using to view the csv file in Windows? If you are using Excel,
setting the default font to 'Arial Unicode' will prevent the character
munging. If you are using Notepad, you have no hope. Download and use
Notepad++ which has full UTF-8 support and try opening the csv file.

--
Donn
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."