language differences between linux and windows

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Fri Feb 27 22:06:09 MST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:07:05 -0700
Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:

> I am using Rational ClearQuest, and am using the CQ Import process to import
> from a csv file which I produced on a linux box.
>
> The linux backend database is Oracle, and is a utf8 database.
> The windows box I am using to do the import (there is no import binary on
> linux), thinks it is WINDOWS-1252
>
> My csv file has some spanish characters. I can see them in the csv file i
> produce. However, when I copy from linux (any means like scp, or a samba mount
> point), the file characters actually change.
>
> I have tried installing iconv (using cygwin), and tried:
> $ iconv -s -c -f UTF-8 -t WINDOWS-1252 file > newfile
>
> It does not look the same as when it was on linux.
>
> Does anyone know what else I could do, to copy a utf8 file to a windows-1252
> file?

ok. I tried a lot of stuff. but the one thing that actually worked, was to run
the cqperl script on the windows box itself.

it was utf8 on the linux box, I could see the text.
when i copied the file, via a samba share, or scp in cygwin, the characters
actually changed.

we don't use ftp on our servers at all, because of security reasons, so I tried
sftp. know what, I couldn't find a mode switch on sftp (binary or ascii), so I
couldn't get sftp to deal with it correctly.

so I copied over my cqperl script to windows, and it worked there. The
characters came out right.

god, I really hate to have to deal with windows in any way at all.

oh btw, if I tried to convert the file on cygwin using iconv. But by the time I
got the file over to windows the damage was already done.

--
Happy Trails!
Jerry (K7AZJ)