OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Tue Feb 24 14:24:02 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Craig White wrote:

>>> There are always limits to this argument.  How many people who install
>>> a linux server actually understand the kernel, or even any C code at
>>> all?  What if I don't know assembly?  I put myself in that boat, but I
>>> don't think that makes me some know-nothing schlub with no interest in
>>> solving problems.
>>>
>>> The realm of "things I could learn" is always infinitely larger than
>>> "things I have learned", and if you get diverted into the minutae of
>>> every possible permutation of every software package, you'll not be a
>>> very effective as a system administrator or in any other field.
>>>
>>> You weaken your argument when you get this pedantic and insist that
>>> everyone take your view on things to this degree.
>>>
>> ----
>> yes and no
>>
>> let's say that you want to extend ldap for hooks to new software. You
>> will never get it done unless you understand how it works. If LDAP
>> database crashes (i.e. power failure or unceremonious shutdown), how are
>> you going to repair it if you don't know how it works? (I see this too
>> often when people try to do turnkey LDAP setups).
>>
>> let's say that Zimbra package uses exceptionally week implementation of
>> amavisd that allows a lot of spam to pass through and boss says he wants
>> a higher level of filter. There's so many ways that a 'packaged' system
>> can come up short but it does provide an easy buy-in to the technology.
>> That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good way to go.
>>
>> It's not that I insist that everyone take my view on these things - it's
>> just a recognition of where/how/why open source came to be as it is.
>>

> I agree with everything you're saying.  For any system I would be
> professionally responsible for, I would want to have the kind of familiarity
> you're talking about.  The times I've had to work with Plesk and other
> systems like that, it was like a straightjacket and I hated it.  When some
> odd thing would come up, I couldn't just fix it for fear of the whole house
> of cards falling.
>

> regards,
> alex

If you're still working with Plesk I understand your pain!
Go here: http://atomicrocketturtle.com ... Scott's Plesk repository and
forum are WAY ahead of anything that swsoft puts out.
I stopped running a Plesk server last year and his repository got me out of
a lot of jams by letting me install better spam filtering, more secure
versions of things/etc.
--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

Henny Youngman  - "When I told my doctor I couldn't afford an operation, he
offered to touch-up my X-rays."