OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue Feb 24 13:03:31 MST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Craig White wrote:

> and then you're be another administrator who never took the time to
> understand the underlying technologies, with no derived skills to
> troubleshoot problems and no study why other parts/daemons might be
> better suited for your particular needs.

There are always limits to this argument.  How many people who install
a linux server actually understand the kernel, or even any C code at
all?  What if I don't know assembly?  I put myself in that boat, but I
don't think that makes me some know-nothing schlub with no interest in
solving problems.

The realm of "things I could learn" is always infinitely larger than
"things I have learned", and if you get diverted into the minutae of
every possible permutation of every software package, you'll not be a
very effective as a system administrator or in any other field.

You weaken your argument when you get this pedantic and insist that
everyone take your view on things to this degree.