OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 24 11:18:16 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 10:43 -0700, Stephen wrote:

> It also explains the "cobble" mentality that alot of people have.
----
the 'cobble mentality' is core to open source. Everywhere you turn you
find it.

The whole notion is that you don't have to supply a dictionary and an
engine to access it but rather your program merely uses the aspell api
and you have access to a functional spell checker. Each application
builds upon the various other libraries that are available.

Whereas Linux and open source in general provides software a rich
platform to develop (license compatibility withstanding), the Microsoft
platform continues to shrink as Microsoft absorbs core applications and
technologies either by purchase or by adoption.
----
> so in reviewing what is out there i personally am thinking fedora
> federated server, and i think free IPA as the core, because that is a
> solid base to start from and will give a very ready path to replacing
> MS ad for windows clients. I would consider OpenSUSE but they do not
> have a non-commercial AD replacement, only Commercial.
----
again, we are looking towards a monolithic, packaged solution which
understandably becomes a corporate driven integration of various open
source tools. I suspect at some point in the future, freeipa will be a
core service for all but the most die hard Windows shops. All of these
tools actually exist today but the neat, single package concept clearly
motivates some people...I get that. Recognize though, that any packaging
becomes a limiting factor because it dictates setup, configuration and
behavior.

Craig