OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:43:28 MST 2009

> ----
> I suppose that we have come full circle on this topic.
>
> Some are determined to only consider a single, consolidated package that
> purports to take on Exchange Server on all fronts.
>
> Some of us are willing to 'cobble' as you put it the various parts and
> pieces of open source projects to provide the desired features. I
> personally think that this is the only way to go.
>
> Craig

Yes in a way we have, but with a good heated debate alot of ideas come forward.

Which is the point i would hope.

I can find a number of things that can emulate what exchange does, or
parts of it, but the real trick i have found is a synchronization of
data so that information added to one is added to the rest. and in
thinking, i think that's where MS has it nailed down, their solutions
as a whole all tie into the same repository, or adjust the same
repository to include the needed data.

And i think until a floss project can work with that standard exchange
will still be dang close to only one of its "breed" as it were.

It also explains the "cobble" mentality that alot of people have.

so in reviewing what is out there i personally am thinking fedora
federated server, and i think free IPA as the core, because that is a
solid base to start from and will give a very ready path to replacing
MS ad for windows clients. I would consider OpenSUSE but they do not
have a non-commercial AD replacement, only Commercial.

Stephen