OT:Exchange good? (Was:Re: new hotness?)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Fri Feb 20 15:15:10 MST 2009

I can concur with a great deal of what your saying.  However I am intrigued
by your statement of "There are many other choices"  I am hoping to find
ones that work well for the very small business and the very large that
provide the same functionality of Exchange, but have not. Do you have a
solution suite that you can recommend?  As for the mail only portion, I can
tell you other systems handle it much better (Personally I like Postfix for
a pure mail solution).  The last time I looked at benchmarks was back in
2006 but I can not find them now.  Exchange was in the lower half of the
companied mail servers. But when you talk exchange mail is really less then
half of the conversation.  But again, as for cost, it is not as bad as you
think.  For small business solutions it can be quite cheep.  This cost
benefit ratio does degrade once you get into the very large enterprises and
you have to really look at how much you are willing to pay for what Exchange
does (and other solutions don't)  Similarly it is far to expensive for the
five person small business by its self.  Which is why it is bundled with SQL
Server, Share Point, Terminal Services, AD, and a ton of other stuff in
their Server 2003 Small Business Edition.  Still for most very small
businesses I encourage outsourcing all their IT needs.