OT:Exchange good? (Was:Re: new hotness?)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Fri Feb 20 15:03:32 MST 2009

Agreed, for larger companies ( I would even say over 500 users) the disk IO
can brutal.  Especially since it writes every message or change to the store
before scanning for discard.  Which is another reason why $500/year for off
site spam scanning is a must. Also remember it is handling much more then
just your mail.  That and you can split it up so the actual mail box stores
reside on faster disks with and mirrored to a more robust raid.  Then again
I have seen some very nice hybrid drives and well cached raid controllers
produce phenomenal results for very little coin.  The triad off some a
company that size is quite good.  Remember I did the bulk of my exchange
work for a company with less then 75 people and a monthly cash flow of
~$10Mill so the $250K/year IT budget they tossed me was nothing.  Especially
since I maintained a 300% ROI on had documented savings and value
generation.  I could not have done this if I had forced everyone onto
cyrus-imapd for all communications ;)