new hotness?

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Thu Feb 19 17:13:37 MST 2009

You caught me.  I know this seems like flame bait so I will try not to stoke
the fire too much
1) You are correct about Knopix, but their are a number of specialty live
distros I have used over the years, including one base on widows xp. That
said these are primarily used for diagnostics and recovery not for every day
use.
2) For virtualization I am still a fan of VMware and have never found a
compelling reason to change. However, if you are looking to cram your server
full of less robust, but just as secure, containers OpenVZ really does look
like your product.  I have never been in this situation so I can not say how
it performs in an enterprise environment, but from what I have seen I like
it; but not as much as standard VM solutions.  Then again, to me Free as in
Beer is almost as good as Free as in Freedom; for many people here this is
not the case. The nice thing about VM ware is that if all you need is simple
virtualization, you can use their free products, but if you need the power
of this mid rang and higher end products you will not find anything better
and I can almost guarantee despite the upfront price your TCO will be lower.
Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience and I know their will
their will likely be a small flame war and so I apologize.
3) SmartMail does not look to be a true exchange substitute.  Perhaps I did
not see it in my quick look at their site, but the beauty of Exchange is the
collaboration components. Even simple items like shared calendars, tasks,
contacts, public folders, etc. are the core of exchange.  Not only that it
is an amassing platform for custom plug-in development extending it's
capabilities far beyond a simple mail server.  Exchange really attempts to
be the perfect PIM.  And, as buggy as it is I have not found a substitute
that is remotely close.  Though I have been tempted by some projects like
hula or a grouping systems like Zimbra, Suger, etc. together to take over
the functions of exchange, the cost was just way to high and the return was
negligible over exchange.  If all you need is mail, run postfix/SquilMail
and be done with it.  If you need other functions but can not afford to run
your own exchange server and BES just outsource your email to Google. Sure
Google is no substitute for exchange either, but it is a bit closer and it
is basically free.  And I take some exception at the "Exchange is hard"
stereotype.  Sure it is convoluted and patchy, but so are all Microsoft
products.  IMHO Exchange is no harder the any other MS server product. ;)

Ok, now that I have dove in here, let me get the fire suit on before I get
roasted alive :)

  _____