anyone else using Qwest/2-wire DSL service?

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:53:15 MST 2009

OK, you got me started. First the actiontec is a piece of #$%@$. It has a
know bug with dns, that has never been fixed.

Dealing with qwest tech is a pain, they will spend at least an hour going
through the simple steps (which is all scripted), before they will escalate
to some second tier. It is hard to get them to admit the problem is on their
side.

I had a problem with the DSLAM one time, and I knew it wasn't on my side,
but they made me jump through hoops, before they finally said it was the
switch. A week later I had the same problem, and they wanted me to jump
through the same hoops, even after I got the second tier, they told me it
wasn't the same problem. Guess what, it was, but it took me 1 1/2 hours to
get them to realize it. turned out to be a failing dslam.

If you're persistent (and have the time), you can get them to resolve your
problem.

Can you tell us that you latency is to your first hop. Right now mine is
very high 120ms, I had this before and they fixed it, but I recently started
seeing it again, and it is very bad for gaming.

To get you latency do a traceroute to qwest.com and it will be the first
phnx.dsl.gw?? that it hits.

I can't find anything on the actiontec that will show me the lease times,
but I can tell you I only get a new IP when I reset the modem.

Are you sure, that it is the lease time ?, could the modem be resetting
itself ?, might it be a heat problem ? if that point a fan at it and see if
it lengthens the time.

When it happens are all the lights still on, on the modem ?, if not then I'd
say you are having a problem with the modem.

  _____