Booting To Terminal

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:16:44 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Tameek Henderson <
> tameekhenderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's apparently very different between Fedora and Ubuntu.  It seems they
>> move the inittab file somewhere else, or renamed it.  I'm not near a
>> Internet connection at the moment.  Any ideas on what file to edit under
>> Ubuntu?
>>

>> http://www.linux.com/feature/125977 is an article from a year ago by Mark
> Sobel about the upstart system replacing the SysV startup mechanisms and
> why.  The upshot is that ubuntu does not use the traditional runlevels
> though it does provide support for the tools that expect it.
>
> Not necessarily the answer you are looking for, but perhaps a useful one.

and here is an article by someone who resolved that to his satisfaction

http://caulfield.info/emmet/2008/03/add-a-textonly-runlevel-to-ubu.html

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that
is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to