NOT OT: re plain text vs HTML - DRUPAL User HTML/TEXT Settings at SIGNUP

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue Feb 3 13:36:01 MST 2009

The 'input format' option doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Specifying an email as plaintext, html, multipart, etc, is done by the
mail client, not by the mailing list that distributes the message
(mailman) or by an integrated CMS (Drupal).  This looks like
configuration for how system admins can send messages to all site users.

If users choose to send a message containing only HTML, that's
unfortunate.  It's not any harder to sent a multi-part email which
will be much easier for text-to-speech and other non-visual clients to
use.  Configuring that has been easy in the mail clients I've used
recently (Apple Mail and Thunderbird).  But I don't think the Drupal
config posted below has any bearing on that issue.  What am I missing?

The mailman options I see for my list subscription allow me to select
a mime or plaintext digest, if I want to get a digest version of the
list.  Other than than, I don't see any delivery-format options at http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/mailman/options/plug-discuss/
<your email address here>.

alex