OT: HTML Emails -- Re: Other than frys where would you get server hardware

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:23:31 MST 2009

There are, in fact, a few of us (like me) who use text only readers for
various reasons (such as visual impairment) and html formatted messages
are definitely the bane of out existence.

its been proper etiquette on the internet since its inception that mail
usually is plain text and if you wish to send media (pictures, etc) that
its attached (in mime printable form). this may seem archaic, but it
generally works out well for most of us.

now my client here can read html formatted messages, but the speech
device will not read me the output, instead it will read the underlying
source of the text (which gets noisy, frustrating, and tends to have me
filter such without even reading it)

I, for one, have a problem with such mails and tend to filter them into
the junk box. if anything important gets in there, its gone (if its
really important, the sender will have sent as plain text with an html
attachment <preferred>. this way, I can still read it and those with
extra features can use the html to their own contentment).

sorry of I may seem a bit terse toward those using html formatted text
messages, but you folks should be aware there are almost 30 million
others like me and we would rather not have our lives made any harder
than it already is.