Hackfest Security: Dubai Hackinthebox Convention Anyone?

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 11:51:51 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> You are confusing Muslim with Arab.
>>
>>  how is he confusing them?  -jmz
>
> The dress standards you cited are specific to UAE.  There are many
> Muslim-majority countries, and Arab-majority countries, where this clothing
> advice would not be appropriate.  Statements like "Heck of a night life they
> must have, oh wait, their MUSLIM!!!!!" and "I'm saying that they way they
> treat women. I will not be going." conflate Arab and Muslim, and infer the
> most conservative social norms (which are most common in a place like Saudi
> Arabia, but not elsewhere).

  You're a thoughtful man, Alex.  But you didn't think about how these
norms are common if not required all across the Muslim world, and even
amongst European Muslims.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Wrhivp7eQ

  And I think that Scott might have been joking.  Lets hope that he
doesn't make any blasphemous cartoons.

> The link you posted makes it pretty clear that there are a variety of
> standards within the UAE, nevermind in the wider Arab or Muslim worlds.  You
> quoted a sentence specific to workplace attire, but there are other
> statements like "Outside work, anything really goes, to a limit. In the
> malls, many wear jeans and t-shirts or the like, and clubbing gear is as you
> would expect elsewhere."  This matches the first-hand statements I've heard
> from people traveling in Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc.
> http://www.grapeshisha.com/UAE-National-clothing.html
>
> Hooray for me if I score popularity points.

  Perhaps in your infinite wisdom, you may want to take a head count
of who it is these views are popular with.

> That's not my goal, and your
> sarcasm is unnecessary.

  In this country, we say what we want and we joke about what we want.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Wilders

  -jmz