Hackfest Security: Dubai Hackinthebox Convention Anyone?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Feb 2 11:07:48 MST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
>> You are confusing Muslim with Arab.
>
>  how is he confusing them?  -jmz

The dress standards you cited are specific to UAE.  There are many
Muslim-majority countries, and Arab-majority countries, where this
clothing advice would not be appropriate.  Statements like "Heck of a
night life they must have, oh wait, their MUSLIM!!!!!" and "I'm saying
that they way they treat women. I will not be going." conflate Arab
and Muslim, and infer the most conservative social norms (which are
most common in a place like Saudi Arabia, but not elsewhere).

The link you posted makes it pretty clear that there are a variety of
standards within the UAE, nevermind in the wider Arab or Muslim
worlds.  You quoted a sentence specific to workplace attire, but there
are other statements like "Outside work, anything really goes, to a
limit. In the malls, many wear jeans and t-shirts or the like, and
clubbing gear is as you would expect elsewhere."  This matches the
first-hand statements I've heard from people traveling in Saudi
Arabia, UAE, etc.
http://www.grapeshisha.com/UAE-National-clothing.html

Hooray for me if I score popularity points.  That's not my goal, and
your sarcasm is unnecessary.  I see an important difference here, and
I said what I wanted to say about it.  Questioning my motives by
implying I have some ulterior motive is silly.

Craig's point is taken, though.  I can just delete this stuff, and I
will.  I don't have any regrets for pointing out some excessive
generalization, but I'm content to be done with it now.  Apologies to
anyone who found my comments uninteresting or off-base.

alex