home dir to usb thx & some OT (long)

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Thu Dec 31 18:42:11 MST 2009

To get your home directory onto the new computer, you'll effectively do
the copy that you already did in reverse.  The steps will look like so:

1. Install Ubuntu on the new computer
2. Create a 'stormy' user on the new Ubuntu system.  It will create a
/home/stormy directory
3. Login to the new computer as the 'stormy' user and open up a terminal
window.  Run this command:

$ rsync -azvH /mnt/usb/ /home/stormy/

That should do it.  There *may* be issues related to group permissions
and the like but probably not.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you do
a directory listing afterwards and see that all of the groups are owned
by some number like 101 or 500 or similar.

Also... don't get rid of your current/old system until you are SURE that
your new system has everything that you want.  I've been known to keep
FULL backups of my old systems for a year or two afterwards... just in
case ;-)