home dir to usb

betty nicepenguin at webcanine.com
Tue Dec 29 21:33:17 MST 2009

I installed the new drive into the new computer. I'm going to transfer
the home directory to a usb drive and then to the new computer.
This is the command i tried and the result i got.

 stormy at stormy-desktop:~$ sudo dd if=/home/stormy of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1024k
[sudo] password for stormy:
dd: reading `/home/stormy': Is a directory
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000942499 s, 0.0 kB/s
stormy at stormy-desktop:~$

What is wrong there? i am such an idiot on command line stuff. aghhh.
Thanks.
betty i.

--
betty i.