hdd ide to sata; which way to go

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Dec 16 23:56:24 MST 2009

First, I'd definitely recommend going with a new SATA drive on the new machine.  You'll find everything just works better and the added reliability of a newer drive makes for a lot less stress (although regular and frequent backups are definitely the best peace-of-mind tool).

For the data transfer there are 3 simple options:
1) If you have, or can borrow, a large enough USB drive (flash or HDD), I'd copy everything (I prefer rsync, but dd is a good choice too) to the USB drive, then copy from that to the new computer.
2) Temporarily install the old drive in the new machine on the ATA (CDROM) interface (if the new machine has an old-style ATA interface for the CD drives), and copy the data from one drive to the other (definitely use rsync here).
3) Connect the two machines to an ethernet router/hub and use rsync to transfer the files over the ethernet connection.

However you end up doing the transfer, I'd definitely recommend retaining a separate backup of all of your personal data (pictures, documents, music, videos, etc...) as part of the process, if at all possible.