A Question About Locales/Languages

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 23:47:11 MST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> Am 28. Dez, 2009 schwätzte Mark Phillips so:
>
>  One of my daughter's has a Mac and it has a neat feature [...SNIP!...] The
>> display of the Spanish keyboard on the screen is really important.
>>
>> Is there a way to configure Debian [...] so I can switch my keyboard from
>> English to German and get a small keyboard map for the German keys?
>>

> There used to be applets for that. I know there was one for KDE and [...]
>
> [...] there's one for GNOME. Tastaturindikator. Don't know what it's called
> in English :).

Well, -- according to
http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text=Tastatur&sl=de&tl=en#
,
at least, --
it says that "Tastatur" means "keyboard"; and that
"Tastaturindikator" translates to the English phrase "keyboard indicator".

(PS:  IMHO I would have called it "keyboard MODE indicator", or something
like that; but then maybe I don't grok [understand] what is / does, as well
as der.hans does ... :-)

HTH,
--
Mike Schwartz