A Question About Locales/Languages

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Dec 28 23:06:37 MST 2009

Am 28. Dez, 2009 schwätzte Mark Phillips so:

> One of my daughter's has a Mac and it has a neat feature that allows her to
> switch languages for her keyboard so she can type in Spanish in openoffice.
> When she switches to Spanish, a nice keyboard map appears on the screen so
> she can see where the special characters are located (i.e. the n-tilde is
> right next to the L key). This does not switch all the menus etc to Spanish.
> It just switches the keyboard to a Spanish keyboard. The display of the
> Spanish keyboard on the screen is really important.
>
> Is there a way to configure Debian so there is a little country flag in the
> tool bar so I can switch my keyboard from English to German and get a small
> keyboard map for the German keys?

There used to be applets for that. I know there was one for KDE and I
believe there's one for GNOME.

Yup, there's one for GNOME. Tastaturindikator. Don't know what it's called
in English :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.