FLASH disk as swap

Marco Savo savomarco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 03:21:07 MST 2009

Thanks for the info.
I had to find the time for read all the mails.
I also found some useful info on internet:
http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8208-all-about-linux-swap-space?theme=print
http://www.xenotime.net/linux/doc/swap-mini-howto.txt
http://robert.penz.name/137/no-swap-partition-journaling-filesystem-on-a-ssd/

I'm working on an embedded router using openwrt. This router has an
internal Nand flash of 1 GB.
I remembered, using openwrt and asterisk on an asus 500 gl, and using
an usb stick as storage and linux swap. So I was just curious if I
could do the same here, and if was necessary. I guess in my case is
not applicable, this is a cheap flash and I think has 100 thousand
writing cycle. ( so from your answers this is not suitable, right?)
Well, I'm not just curious. In some cases I had the OOM killer going on.
I also improved a little bit with this:

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
 *******To free pagecache, dentries and inodes: This is a
non-destructive operation and will only free things that are
completely unused ************

--
'The Magic Is In the Movement'

             ___