FLASH disk as swap

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Dec 4 09:55:46 MST 2009

From: Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM,<danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
>> I've seen the Apache boxes hit swap heavily, fall over, and barf,
>> but that's been a lot less common since we changed a few things
>> early this year.  YMMV, obviously.
> Can you share which changes you made to improve those Apache
> barfers?

Once a week, at about 2am, every apache-using box does "apachectl
restart".  These restarts are staggered so we only have 2 or 3
machines restarting apache on any given day.  There shouldn't be
any memory leaks in apache, of course, but it seems to get flaky
when left up for months at a time and serving millions of requests.

I do the same thing on my personal website, but more often since
the slice only has 256M of RAM....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows