Time to Trade in My Blackberry

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Mon Aug 31 14:56:59 MST 2009

On 8/31/09 1:32 PM, "David Huerta" <huertanix at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been anxiously looking forward to the n900; The prospect of a
> mobile browser with Flash support will be awesome for making iPhone
> users jealous.

The n900 seems cool. I have a jailbroken iPhone and honestly I have no
desire for flash support, as most of the flash I see are stupid ads. As for
things like YouTube I'm sure the app works better than the flash version
would. True with flash it would open up more video content like Vimeo, Hulu,
etc. But I wouldn't be too jealous, since I can:

* SSH/scp/ftp into my phone (access controlled of course)
* SSH/scp/ftp out of my phone
* VNC to my phone
* RDP from my phone to a winblows machine to remote admin
* run tcpdump on my phone
* run apache on my phone
* run python, bash, and perl scripts on my phone
* play video files on my phone (or even remote using VLC)
* schedule cron jobs on my phone
* use sqlite3 to access the phones sms, voicemail, and contacts databases
* use /etc/hosts on my phone to redirect known ad sites to 127.0.0.1
* Run almost anything you can compile for arm on my phone
* Using a variety of pay, free, or roll-your-own apps to allow me to
remotely locate my phone, lock it down, or wipe it if necessary.
* Install any of the thousands of apps and games available, including things
like playstation/nintendo/c64 emulators, which open up thousands of other
games.
* Write software for my phone with the Iphone SDK

I'm definitely not an "Apple fanboi", and personally I hate most of Apples
policies especially the ones where they decide exactly what your "user
experience" should be, and if you could not jailbreak the iPhone I wouldn't
recommend one at all.

That being said, the main reasons that I like my jailbroken iPhone are:
* Its basically a little unix server, which allows you to do all of the
things I listed above plus all of the other things possible with such a
device.
* It has the best mobile web experience (using Safari including multiple
tabs) that I have found so far. The only thing missing is indeed flash, but
so far I have been just fine without it, and I'm not sure if I would even
want it, if I had to see stupid "punch the monkey" flash popups.

P.S. I realize I made no mention of "making calls with my iphone". Of course
it does that too, but I seldom make or receive voice calls, but the ones I
have worked fine. It is basically having a tiny unix box in my pocket that
drew me to, and so far holds me to, having an Iphone.

-Charles