2.6.31 kernel

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:54:24 MST 2009

Ryan Rix wrote:
> Technomage wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> lastly, linux has the "good enough" mentality. put it into operation and
>> fix the bugs later (which never happens
>> half the time)
>>

> That's the entire idealogy of OSI tactics -- the bazaar over the cathedral.

yeah, and its proving that its either not working very well, or there is
a mix of both philosophies going on here.

>> Of course, we cannot DEMAND that the developers fix these problems (as
>> they are unpaid, etc), but it
>> would help if they did.
>>

> Most of the primary developers on the kernel, the guys who make the most
> patches, are employed by major GNU/Linux companies, as was recently
> discussed, here, slashdot and elsewhere.

[/rant]
I had a long response all prepared for this, but suffice to say, its
just not worth it. There's just too many things
that have gone wrong in the development chain to make the Linux based OS
a viable use for me right now.
I can still experiment with it under vmware, but given recent
difficulties with hardware (such as my sata HD's and
controllers) I cannot see using it other than in the capacity as an
experiment to be run under a VM. Right now, its too
many bugs not being fixed and too may dev's saying "thats not my
problem". I think the point I am striving
here for is this: we are in a "quantity over quality mentality" right
now and this is biting us in the butt *hard*.
This needs to change (but getting the powers that be to listen seems
impossible atm).

If anyone has any suggestions how we can modify the current mentality
(and get those powers to listen to us)
I'm all ears. Frankly, I don't want to be stuck on windows (M$ has
questionable business practices that
I don't feel comfortable with) and OS X (nice thought it may be)
requires machines costing much more money than
I can ever possibly afford without some good paying job at my back....

[rant/]