Automount in Gnome

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Aug 29 23:36:55 MST 2009

When I do startx from root or any other user, for that matter, I get
automatically logged in as that user.  So I didn't think it possible to
startx from root and login later as someone else.  But your explanation
about root permissions makes sense.

Like I say, my expertese of gnome and its configurations is very weak to
say the least.  Gnome is almost like another distribution like
Slackware, Arch, Debian, etc.  There's a lot to learn there to fully
understand how it works and how to fix things.  Since I started gdm from
a root console and leave it running as a daemon, I've been able to auto
mount stuff and the directories actually get the right permissions and
user ownership too.  So I guess I've got as much as I can expect from
this.  I just wondered though because I had been able to do this from a
startx sesion on prior distros and past versions.  So maybe something
got tightened up here or something.