LVM extension into new space and partition edits

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Aug 24 18:42:08 MST 2009

From: Michael Butash <michael at butash.net>
>> Or just fdisk the thing, expand the last partition and reboot.  No
>> need to make things more complex than necessary.
> That's the thing, I don't think that'll work.

Which is why I wrote (in the part you failed to quote):

-------
Use fdisk to make it larger, reboot, then run pvresize
on the PV, then run lvresize on the LV, then run resize2fs on the
filesystem on the LV.
-------

> The PV and subsequent VG and LVM's expect a certain format
> to the blocks of data.  Regardless, I think you'll have to prep
> the new, unused space in such a way it's acceptable to LVM

The man page for pvresize says that's what it does.  I don't even
have pvextend on my system here.  Did you mean "vgextend"?  That's
on a different layer of the LVM system, and is used for the other
(more complicated) approach of making a new PV.

If you have a spare disk lying around, you can recreate this
approach on that disk and see how it works.  A keychain drive
should work fine.

> I wouldn't be too hasty with toasting my data...

The OP has a recent backup.  Right?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows