What laptop to get to replace my 15" macbook?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Thu Aug 20 10:18:23 MST 2009

Thanks to all who responded.  I guess I'll try to do a Linux install
on the mac before I just give up and replace it.

== Austin Godber wrote: Have you considered installing Linux on your
MacBook? It seems that both the latest Fedora and Ubuntu work with
little fuss on the MacBooks.

Thanks Austin.  I had considered this, and now that I have little
interest in trying to salvage os-x, I will give that a go with a
straight Linux install.  I have now found quite a few others who have
successfully installed PCLinuxOS (my favorite Linux distro) on
Macbooks.  So, if I can remap the keyboard to put the control key
where it should be and eliminate the stupid, poorly placed mac "X" key
and disable the caps-lock key, perhaps I can still salvage using the
nice mac hardware.

== Eric Cope wrote: I am blown away you had such difficulty using a
Mac. I used to hate Macs. I bought one because I was sick of Windows.
Its been fantastic. Sorry you had such a bad experience, although it
seems your complaints are more cosmetic than anything else. How much
are you selling your macbook for? Which one is it?

My complaints are definitely *not* merely "cosmetic."  I've always
avoided Windows (except to run Pagemaker and Paint Shop Pro via
win4lin as a task on my Linux systems), so my experience has almost
exclusively been with *nix ... Xenix > Unix > Linux.  My frustration
with mac is that it strikes me as being a brain-dead quadraplegic or
amputee version of *nix.  (Further research has indicated that this is
a common perception among *nix oriented folks.).  Mac may be fine for
music and movies, and playing, etc., but it is definitely not good for
serious work (imho).  The macbook I bought is a 15" and if I can't get
it to work satisfactorily with a straight Linux install (and remapping
the stupid key misplacements), I'll probably sell it for $995 obo.

== Bob Elzer wrote: How much did you spend on the Macbook, and how
much do you want to spend on a new laptop? What are your preferences,
what does it have to have, or not have, and what do you want to do
with it?

The positive things about the mac that are now part of my
"preferences" are, of course, it must have a working wireless, at
least a 15" display (I hope a matte screen, not glossy), a
slot-loading CD/DVD drive, illuminated keys (not for "cosmetics," but
to see the keys in a dark airplane, etc).  I prefer just a basic
qwerty keyboard with no 10-key pad.  A built-in camera is nice and now
standard on most newer laptops.  I am very intrigued with the new ASUS
"instant-on" feature that boots Linux from flash memory in 8-10
seconds -- something bloat-ware M$/mac will probably never be able to
do.  I am also interested in the long battery life (8+ hours) that is
now possible with single-core processors as Linux does not need all
the horsepower that bloatware needs. I need to be able to add win98
(not xp) as a task via some virtual-ware.