What laptop to get to replace my 15" macbook?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Aug 20 09:41:00 MST 2009

From: Nadim Hoque <nadimhoque at gmail.com>
> Josef Lowder wrote:
>> 3. Failure to totally eliminate the "caps-lock" key

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM SHOUTHING???!!1!  No, lots of people like to
type in all caps, so they retain this.  Like the QWERTY keyboard
itself, it's a Panda's Thumb of technology.

>> 4. The absolutely ridiculous limitation of being forced to the
>> bottom right corner of every window as the *only* way to resize

Interface fascism has been part of Apple since the early days.  I
wonder why the file manager doesn't have an "up one directory"
button like all the other file managers.

>> 6. The lack of a simple text editor ... one that doesn't force
>> the use of html or rtf.

What, /usr/bin/vim ain't good enough for you?  Heretic!  emacs
user!  BURN HIM!  :-)

>> 7. Most of the *nix command-line commands and utilities that I
>> am used to using do not seem to work on Mac OS-X

Almost all of them are there, but they're *BSD instead of GNU, so
they have fewer options and in some cases different options.  This
is a bit annoying.

> I do understand why someone might not like macs because everything
> is not for everybody.

Aye.  I sort of have to have one at ork (testing stuff, 2 proprietary
apps corporate requires because they've drunk the Flavor-Ade) so I've
had to learn to use it.  Fortunately, I have a large number of Linux
boxes to work on as well.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows