Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" Alpha4 and the Intel video drivers...

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 13:14:44 MST 2009

The best way to upgrade an OS is to do a fresh install.  Nobody can catch
everything, these distro's have so much stuff included, there is bound to be
some complications.

If you are going to do the upgrade route, then I recommend Mondo Rescue. It
can make a bare metal backup of your machine and if and when you find any
problems that are deal breakers you can roll back.

Another thing I always consider when I build a system, is where I put my
data. I put all the data I want to keep on a separate disk (I.E. I create a
link from /usr/local/ to /mydisk/local/ )

After a fresh install, it's easy to recreate the links

There are still files I make copies of (I.E. /etc stuff and other things), I
then have a list of files that need to be looked at in the new system.

Doing these things makes a fresh install easier.