OT: Microsoft Word Banned?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Aug 14 07:23:12 MST 2009

Only real problem I see is the same one it has been - patent troll
companies that do nothing more than abuse our patent system staking
their ambiguous claims, and sue others as their only "revenue".

Other than that, I'm still amused whenever those cannons get pointed at
Microsoft.  It will unfortunately have ramifications for "everyone else"
eventually higher overall costs when trolls get their hooks in.

See also Immersion vs. Sony/everyone for another good one -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_v._Sony.  Microsoft just payed
them off in licensing over their "vibrating controller" patent without
fighting, while Sony got stuck with $90.7m in damages, halting of
controller sales using it (i.e. all ps2), and still having to "license"
the tech to boot.

I don't see microsoft doing anything different here unless this xml
patent beating them over the head has no legs to stand on, then maybe
they'll fight, maybe they won't...

-mb