HP LaserJet troubleshooting

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Tue Aug 11 15:28:22 MST 2009

I have an HP LaserJet.  The three Macs find it and print to it (when it
wakes up), when I boot my Mac into windows it prints fine.
Unfortunately the Ubuntu 9.04.x box can't find it.  If I bring up the
browser based manager for CUPS, I can't find anything.  I give it the IP
address for the machine, still nothing.  I try the HP Linux printer
utility and have no better luck.

What I'd like is a systematic diagnostic plan to start troubleshooting
the problem.  Does anybody know where I can find one?