Horribly OT <odious troll food>

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 5 20:23:10 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 20:12 -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:

> We used to do that before World War Two and the GI Bill.  Very few
> people went to college.  If you were willing to sacrifice any pretense
> of a knowledge economy and to target a low wage-no tax strategy you
> could curtail all higher education government subsidy.
>
> If I were a politician I wouldn't want to break the news to my middle
> class voters that their kids don't have a prayer of going to college
> and
> will work low wage, low skill jobs.
>
> Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> >   what I dont understand about the voucher system is, why are we
> > taxing just to give back credits?  why tax at all?  -jmz
----
well with a daughter who just graduated with an architectural degree
with no job prospects and her boyfriend having just graduated with a
business degree having no job prospects for the most part, the
educational system itself doesn't presently offer any prospects for much
of anything now anyway. In fact, America is not the same country it used
to be.

As for JMZ's comments, I suppose that one of the intentions of the
taxation system is a redistribution of wealth in various forms which is
not necessarily a bad idea. An educated populace is a good thing. An
educated populace buried in educational debt is of little use. I think
the idea though is it would be better to have people going to school
than having the schools close, layoff personnel because enrollments are
surely declining as fewer can pay the costs of education which have
skyrocketed and the current prospects for employment on many degrees are
few.

Craig

believed to be clean.